Thursday, 17 April 2014

Mutant Ninja Mosquitoes


In the battle of blood and brawn, the one with the thirst for blood must always lose.


New Delhi has an old story that is narrated time and time again. With the ongoing changes in the weather, I suppose everyone was getting ready for the wave of sweltering heat that was to hit us in the months ahead. In this land of extremities, thanks to its strategic geographical location, Delhites get to become lab rats for an experiment so callously performed by mother nature. They say constant exposure to a stimulus eventually leads to the development of tolerance. So with wonderful food to aid us during such tumultuous times, we have become used to bearing these conditions the "Delhi way". 

While weather becomes a conversation starter in our everyday lives, we tend to ignore the evil lurking in the shadows. The evil that has evolved and developed at a rate that is "blood-curdling" more than alarming. Dear reader I am talking about these Mutant Ninja Mosquitoes or MNMs, as they will be referred to through the rest of this post.

Each morning as I open the door I expect to step into the ever so slight and pacifying breeze and to the chirping of little birdies. Instead I see a scourge of these MNMs, buzzing around as if they had been polishing their ninja moves while they waited for the enemy. Even if I were to shut the door in the tenth of a second in an effort to prevent their entry into the house, this malicious insect species would find a way to have a few of their comrades infiltrate into our territory. An almost perfect beginning to a brilliant day soiled by an army of miniature vampires.

Just like vampires, they disappear into thin air as the sun shines upon our kind like a blessing. But mind you reader, this joy does not last forever. the few moments of bliss are destroyed mercilessly when the sun subsides and the stars shine in their full glory.

Akin to the real MnMs ( the world famous candy) they may look different from the outside but deep within their diabolic frames rests the same genetic material. The DNA that makes their irritability quotient go off the charts. The DNA with the uncanny ability to make the tyrant detect blood. Even though we are very well aware of the fact that only female mosquitoes bite, I refuse to accept that they are the only ones present in our homes. The males, I presume, are no less a part of the troublemaker brigade.

These pesky attention seekers can cross boundaries incomprehensible to quench their eternal thirst.

Imagine sitting in the most comfortable position you ever sat in; doing your job, minding your own business, totally focused, at peace with yourself, almost close to achieving nirvana and ZOOM comes the horrifying buzz of an MNM. That was my plight. I waved my hands around my head like a crazed fan-girl. I switched on the mosquito repellent with the an evil grin, thinking it would be the end. Thinking it would lead to the successful elimination of the adversary, only to realize that my mini-celebration had hit rock bottom. 

I found not only one, but three more MNMs buzzing in my sacred space. The traditional swatting had lost its charm. I turned the house upside down and dug up the prized bottle of the most pungent and loathsome mosquito spray. I underwent the agony of having to stand and breathe in those noxious fumes as they worked their magic. I could no let any of these little tyrants escape.

My mission was on the brink of attaining success, naturally I was happy. But my plan was smashed to smithereens when I saw those motionless bodies revive. I had an epiphany as the buzzing of translucent wings reverberated throughout the room. This enemy just could not be beaten. A harrowing co existence was the only reality.

Once again we had been beaten by just another species of mutant ninjas.

1 comment:

  1. hahahhaahha..
    :D:D:D
    really awesome post somya!!
    :):)

    ReplyDelete